Thursday, October 27, 2011

Never forget

Six months, to the day, have come and gone since the April 27th tornadoes. A lot has happened in the past six months but time has also stood still. The clean-up has ended (for the most part) and the rebuilding process has begun.

Six months ago I was in Arizona and worried about my friends and family at home. My husband and I were glued to TV's, Facebook, Twitter, and a local news app on my phone. I'll never forget the worry and dread I felt while waiting to hear that everybody was ok.

Every day I still see places near my home that were forever changed. Homes that still have blue tarps covering their roofs, left over debris from a house that's no longer there, big tall lights that line the interstates are still bent in half like a child's pipe cleaner, and what was once densely packed woods alongside the road is now nothing but a clear field.

Life does go on and for many people it has. The world outside has mostly forgotten about what we're all facing in the South, however, there are still so many people who are going without and are relying on strangers for help.


Doing All 4 Alabama and even donating to Ringgold Reads gave me the opportunity to help out others and just do something good. Not because it was expected of me or an obligation, but because all I wanted to do was help.

I have another chance to help by spreading the word and I'm going to take it. I know a lot of you are fans of the show GLEE and although it's not my thing, I have to promote this because one of the hardest hit places in Alabama, Phil Campbell, has the opportunity to win money to help their high school get back on their feet. You can see the video (and hopefully vote) here and if that doesn't make you feel feelings, then your a robot like Chandler. What if those were your kids? Your school? These kids have been through so much and I think if anyone deserves it, they do.

With that, I'm closing but I just want to say thanks again to everybody who has donated their time and/or money to help rebuild, whether it be due to the tornadoes or not. Without people like you the world would be super sucky place.





No comments:

Post a Comment