Tuesday, September 27, 2011

The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer Love

It's Mara Dyer day!! I had the opportunity to read an ARC of The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer by Michelle Hodkin back in June and at the time I was planning on doing a review of it but when I actually sat down to write it I had way too much bouncing around in my head.

I didn't want it to be one of those posts where I get all gushy (because I totally would have gone that direction) and I knew that if I started talking about it, I'd unintentionally say too much. I WILL share a few notes I left for myself back in June. Yes, I leave myself notes so I don't forget --I have a terrible memory with certain things. Here they are along with my commentary on that particular note


Harry potter references - One way to win me over is to reference Harry Potter. Some people think it's lame or the author trying to come off as cool by mentioning Harry, but not me. I LOVE these kinds of references. It shows me that the author not only enjoys something that I do, but it's a nice little nod of appreciation to J.K. Rowling (in my opinion anyway) because she had such a major role in what MG/YA is today.

Noah Shaw - Could Noah BE anymore hotter? (Please imagine that said in my best Chandler Bing voice). I don't think he could be. Mysterious? Check. Cute? Check. Best accent choice ever? CHECK. I have always been enamored by British accents and when he says to Mara, "he was doing it wrong." Holy skipping heartbeat Batman! Watch out Marcus Flutie and Etienne St. Clair..you have some SERIOUS competition.

Jamie - condoms line - I don't remember the exact line but I remember I literally laughed out loud and had to make sure I didn't wake my husband up. I wish there had been MORE Jamie because he was awesome. Here's hoping he pops up in book 2!

voice/witty - Michelle NAILED Mara's voice and the book was just witty and fun and I'd totally want Mara to be my BFF. When you read it, you'll know exactly what I'm talking about. For a debut author to get it right like this just boggles my mind. Some people have talent oozing from their pores and Michelle is one of them. She's going to be a NYT best seller..mark my words.

Daniel + Jude = TDD - Having two characters with the same name as two characters from another series (Bree Despain's Dark Divine books) threw me at first and I couldn't quit thinking about this other world. However, these characters quickly became their own people and it was a non-issue.

Only complaint is that I have to wait for September to get my own copy - It's now September and the book releases today. I actually purchased my VERY OWN copy this past Friday and she looks lovely hanging out with Sophie and Evie on my book shelf. I also have a pre-ordered copy on the way for a giveaway in a few weeks.

Next up on the Mara Dyer lovefest is the book trailer. Have you seen it yet? If you haven't WHAT are you waiting for?! It's absolutely fantastic and I normally don't care for book trailers (unless your name happens to be Maggie Stiefvater), but this one is..well just go watch it!





Now that you've seen it, what do you think? Awesome, huh? I showed it to my husband and even he was impressed. Even the song is great! If this doesn't make you want to read this book then I have to raise my eyebrow at you.

So happy book birthday Michelle! I hope today is as wonderful as you are and I can't wait to meet you in November!


3 comments:

  1. I really must get this...especially since she will be at YALL Fest! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also read the ARC and fell in love. Michelle is such a cool person and she gave Mara a fresh voice that is a total departure from certain whiny brats in contemporary YA literature. No names though. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes Jennie, you should :-)

    Aim - I totally agree and can think of a few of those characters off the top of my head lol

    ReplyDelete