Saturday, October 2, 2010

Banned Book Week

Ok guys, don't hate me. I kind of slacked a little bit this week on featuring a banned book a day. Part of the reason was because I got a bit behind but also because I had a very hard time picking which books I wanted to feature. Now that Banned Books Week is drawing to a close, I decided I would just go ahead and list a few more of my favorites.

1. To Kill A Mockingbird by Harper Lee
Harper Lee's only published novel and an Alabama native. This year Monroeville, AL, where Lee still lives, celebrated the 50th anniversary of To Kill a Mockingbird.

2. A Light in the Attic by Shel Silverstein
One of my favorites. Especially the poem Crowded Tub. I can STILL recite this one from memory.

3. The Jessica Darling Series by Megan McCafferty
 MarcusFlutieMarcusFlutieMarcusFlutie! Marcus Flutie wearing Backstreet Boys t-shirts. LASSODICKING!

4. Looking for Alaska by John Green
 Another Alabama author and it was SO weird reading about places I know/see/drive ALL the time.

5. Brave New World by Aldous Huxley
Dystopian that focuses on sleep-learning and reproduction. Read this in my College World Lit class and was so much fun to discuss.


What are some of your favorite banned books?

2 comments:

  1. John Green is from Alabama?? How did I not know that!?

    ReplyDelete
  2. He spent time here when he was younger. The school in Looking for Alaska is based on the Indian Springs School and..well just watch this.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cdjmNPlePVE

    ReplyDelete